Mit over 2.7 billion smartphone users worldwide, it’s hardly surprising that mobile app usage is growing in popularity. As the number of mobile apps increases, so has the number of mobile developers, which is expected to reach 14 million by 2020. At the moment, the majority of those who pursue a career in mobile development choose to become either an iOS or an Android developer. This is mainly due to the popularity of these platforms. With so much interest in mobile development, it’s clear to see that the hunt for mobile app talent has become highly competitive. This, in turn, affects developer salaries. To give you a full understanding of the topic, we’ve gathered relevant Android developer salary data from PayScale, Glassdoor, Indeed.com, and ZipRecruiter.
Don’t use Android? You can find Gehaltsdaten for iOS, Java, and other technologies by clicking the link.
In diesem Beitrag werden wir die folgenden Themen behandeln
- An average Android developer salary
- An entry-level Android developer salary
- A junior Android developer salary
- A senior android developer salary
- An Android developer salary in NYC
- iOS developer vs Android developer salary
Average Android developer salary in the US
An Android developer specializes in developing mobile applications for the Android platform. Basically, the job revolves around designing and building advanced apps and working closely with product development teams. This is done in order to define and develop specific features, troubleshoot, fix bugs, and work with outside data sources and APIs.
The specific tasks depend mostly on the level of experience, knowledge, and skills. These factors also affect the average Android developer salary.
Currency: USD | Updated: 23 Apr 2019 | Individuals Reporting: 1,166
Laut Lohnskala, the average salary in the US is $81,948 per year (at the time of the publication). The median hourly rate, on the other hand, equals $30.61.
Currency: USD | Updated: 17 Apr 2019 | Individuals Reporting: 1,127
Interestingly, the Android developer salary presented by Glastür is visibly higher: $97,445 per year.
Currency: USD | Updated: 26 Apr 2019 | Individual data sources: 7,224
Still, the highest salaries are reported by Indeed.com, with $126,851 per year on average.
Die Währung: USD | Aktualisiert: 22 Apr 2019 | Einzelne Datenquellen: –
Wie von ZipRecruiter, though, the average annual pay for an Android developer in the United States stands at $108,763.
As can be seen, the average Android developer salary varies. The differences stem from a number of factors, such as experience, location, core skills, and additional skills.
Android developer salary depends heavily on the level of experience. As illustrated below – the more experienced the developer, the higher the salary, which is hardly surprising.
- An entry-level Android developer salary is $76,000 per year on average (excluding bonuses, and overtime pay),
- An average junior Android developer salary stands at $98,000,
- Whereas a senior Android developer salary is highly determined by the years of experience. The average total compensation for a developer with 10 to 20 years amounts to $114,000. Android developers with over 20 years of experience can expect to earn $130,000 on average.
Then again, according to ZipRecruiter:
- Die entry-level Android developer salary in the US is $76,744 a year on average,
- At the same time, the average junior Android developer salary appears to be $72,750/year,
- A mid-level Android developer salary, on the other hand, reaches $108,763 on average,
- While the average senior Android developer salary is $126,066.
Android developer salary in NYC, SF, and Boston
Apart from experience, location is also an important factor that influences Android app developer salaries in the US. According to Lohnskala, Android developers in San Francisco are offered much higher salaries (they earn 45% more than the national average) than those living elsewhere. Boston and Seattle come second and third, with 8% and 9% respectively. Surprisingly, an Android app developer salary in NYC is much lower.
By contrast, Indeed.com states that Android developer salary is as follows in the following geographical locations:
- The average Android app developer salary in SF amounts to $132,651 a year,
- In Boston, Android developers earn $140,208 per year,
- An Android developer salary in NYC, however, is $133,308/year on average.
Andere Faktoren, die das Gehalt erhöhen
The list of skills essential for an Android app developer includes proficiency in Java, knowledge of Android SDK and Android Studio, as well as an understanding of XML and Material Design.
Skills required for higher pay
Laut Lohnskala, the skills that are likely to increase pay are the knowledge of C++ and/or C#.
Nützliche zusätzliche Fähigkeiten
Even though the following skills are not crucial for Android developers, the candidates usually stand out if their CV includes:
- High attention to detail
- Analytische Fähigkeiten
- UX und UI
- Fähigkeiten zur Problemlösung
iOS developer vs Android developer salary
Which platform requires higher compensation, then? It might be difficult to say since the salaries vary. For example:
- As reported by PayScale, the average iOS developer salary is $82,472, as opposed to $81,948 for Android developers,
- Indeed.com, however, reports that an iOS developer earn $125,064 on average, whereas Android developers make $126,851 per year,
- According to ZipRecruiter, though, the annual pay for iOS developers is $110,951 – contrary to the pay for Android developers, which amounts to $108,763,
- Still, the difference between iOS developer vs Android developer salary is much more visible on Glastür – $106,557 and $97,445, respectively.
When comparing average iOS developer vs Android developer salaries, it’s also worth taking into account that there are thousands of companies that make devices for Android – and many of them offer much lower prices than Apple does. This is one of the main reasons why Android apps are more popular, and why they are being developed more frequently.
At the same time, iOS users spent twice as much on apps overall as Android users. This ensures that there is a healthy market for iOS developers.
In most cases, when creating a mobile app, the first decision to make is which platform you’ll release it to: Android, iOS, or another operating system. You already know what the average Android developer salary is in the US – how about checking other resources dedicated to software developer salaries?
Bevor Sie gehen
Wir haben auch noch andere großartige Ressourcen für ein Software-Entwickler-Gehalt, wie zum Beispiel