What is a front end developer?
Frameworks like AngularJS and BackboneJS are also highly in demand. A front end developer salary depends on a range of factors, including skill set, level of expertise, and location. If you’re looking to recruit a front end developer, are you sure that you’re offering a fair salary? Perhaps you need to prepare yourself to carry out a major sourcing project, or you’re about to carry out some screening for this role.
While front end developers might not be at the top of the chart in terms of salary, their role brings with it some unique challenges and opportunities. Above all, they must work in partnership with everyone in the team, giving them a broader role in the development process than server-side developers. Front end developers can therefore not only code, but are also people who can sit down with visual and UX designers, and solve major challenges as part of a team.
To give you a full understanding of the subject, we’ve put together up-to-date, industry-specific data.
In this post, we will be addressing the following topics
- Average front end developer salary
- An entry-level front end developer salary
- A middle front end developer salary
- A senior front end developer salary
- A front end developer salary in NYC, SF, and LA
Average front end developer salary
Web developer (United States)
Currency: USD | Updated: 10 Mar 2019 | Individuals Reporting: 5,776
According to PayScale’s data, the average front end developer salary in the US is $69,411 per year (at the time of the publication). According to PayScale, the median hourly rate is $24.42.
Currency: USD | Updated: 6 Mar 2019 | Individuals Reporting: 3,786
On the other hand, Glassdoor’s data shows that the average base pay is $77,908 per year (plus an average cash compensation of $3,301).
Currency: USD | Updated: 13 Mar 2019 | Individual data sources: 22,477
Interestingly, Indeed.com reports much higher salaries, with an average salary of $108,851 per year.
Currency: USD | Updated: 14 Mar 2019 | Individual data sources: 36,143
Although ZipRecruiter.com does not provide their own calculation of an average salary for a particular type of job, a search for jobs with the keywords “front end web developer” results in the above data for particular salary ranges. It is, therefore, possible to calculate an average salary of (at least) $114,020 per year.
As you would expect, front end developer salary levels depend heavily on the level of experience of a particular developer.
According to PayScale:
- less than 5 years: average total compensation of $65,338 (excluding bonuses, and overtime pay)
- 5 to 10 years of experience (mid-career experience): an average total compensation of $78,000
- 10 to 20 years of experience (experienced): an average total compensation of $87,000
- 20+ years of experience (late-career experience): an average total compensation of $89,000
According to Glassdoor, (as of 28.02.2019):
- 1 to 3 years of experience: an average total compensation of $67,423
- 4 to 6 years of experience: an average total compensation of $76,652 (excluding bonuses, and overtime pay)
- 7 to 9 years of experience (mid-career experience): an average total compensation of $82,226
- 10 to 14 years of experience (experienced): an average total compensation of $87,160
- 15+ years of experience (late-career experience): an average total compensation of $90,403
Location is one of the most important factors influencing the salary of front end developers. According to PayScale, front end developers in San Francisco earn 37% more than the national average, with Washington and New York coming second and third (15% and 13% respectively).
Front end developer salary NYC, SF, and LA
By contrast, Glassdoor states that front end developer median base pay is as follows in the following geographical locations:
- In SF, front end developers get on average $114,646 per year (47% above average)
- In LA, front end developers earn $89,920 per year (15% above average)
- In NYC, front end developers earn $93,395 per year (10% above average)
- In Washington, front end developers earn $83,138 per year (7% above average)
Other factors increasing pay
Skills required for higher pay
Useful additional skills
Whilst the following skills on their own add little value to a front end developer’s portfolio, when a developer is familiar with a number of them in addition to the core skills, they add a great deal of value:
- Video editing
- Design skills (Adobe Creative Cloud)
- UX and UI
- Wireframing/Prototyping tools
- Google analytics
Before you go
We also have other great resources devoted to a software developer salary, such as: