With over 2.7 billion smartphone users worldwide, it’s hardly surprising that mobile app usage is growing in popularity. As the number of mobile apps increases, so has the number of mobile developers, which is expected to reach 27.7 million by 2023. At the moment, the majority of those who pursue a career in mobile development choose to become either an iOS or an Android developer. This is mainly due to the popularity of these platforms. With so much interest in mobile development, it’s clear to see that the hunt for mobile app talent has become highly competitive. This, in turn, affects developer salaries. To give you a full understanding of the topic, we’ve gathered relevant Android developer salary data from PayScale, Glassdoor, Indeed.com, and ZipRecruiter.
Don’t use Android? You can find salary data for iOS, Java, and other technologies by clicking the link.
In this post, we will be addressing the following topics
- An average Android developer salary
- An entry-level Android developer salary
- A junior Android developer salary
- A senior android developer salary
- An Android developer salary in NYC
- iOS developer vs Android developer salary
Average Android developer salary in the US
An Android developer specializes in developing mobile applications for the Android platform. Basically, the job revolves around designing and building advanced apps and working closely with product development teams. This is done in order to define and develop specific features, troubleshoot, fix bugs, and work with outside data sources and APIs.
The specific tasks depend mostly on the level of experience, knowledge, and skills. These factors also affect the average Android developer salary.
Currency; USD. Based on 651 salary profiles (last updated Aug 23 2021)
According to PayScale, the average salary in the US is $90,306 per year (at the time of the publication). The median hourly rate, on the other hand, equals $37.45.
Currency: USD | Updated: 31 Aug 2021 | Individuals Reporting: 226
Interestingly, the Android developer salary presented by Glassdoor is visibly higher: $120,648 per year.
Currency: USD | Updated: 28 Aug 2021 | Individual data sources: 1600
Still, the highest salaries are reported by Indeed.com, with $118,389 per year on average.
Currency: USD | Updated: 31 Aug 2021 | Individual data sources: –
As stated by ZipRecruiter, though, the average annual pay for an Android developer in the United States stands at $112,647.
As can be seen, the average Android developer salary varies. The differences stem from a number of factors, such as experience, location, core skills, and additional skills.
Android developer salary vs experience
Android developer salary depends heavily on the level of experience. As illustrated below – the more experienced the developer, the higher the salary, which is hardly surprising.
Android app developer salary according to PayScale:
- An entry-level Android developer salary is $72,000 per year on average (excluding bonuses, and overtime pay),
- An average junior Android developer salary stands at $87,000,
- Whereas a senior Android developer salary is highly determined by the years of experience. The average total compensation for a developer with 10 to 20 years amounts to $116,000. Ineterestingly Android developers with over 20 years of experience can actually expect to earn less, with an average salary at $98,000.
Then again, Android salary according to ZipRecruiter:
- The entry-level Android developer salary in the US is $73,274 a year on average,
- At the same time, the average junior Android developer salary appears to be $77,834/year,
- A mid-level Android developer salary, on the other hand, reaches $112,647 on average,
- While the average senior Android developer salary is $127,698.
Android developer salary in NYC, SF, and Boston
Apart from experience, location is also an important factor that influences Android app developer salaries in the US. According to PayScale, Android developers in San Francisco are offered much higher salaries (they earn 45% more than the national average) than those living elsewhere. Boston and Seattle come second and third, with 8% and 9% respectively. Surprisingly, an Android app developer salary in NYC is much lower.
By contrast, Indeed.com states that Android developer salary is as follows in the following geographical locations:
- The average Android app developer salary in SF amounts to $149,978 a year,
- In Chicago, Android developers earn $101,056 per year,
- An Android developer salary in Brooklyn, New York however, is $143,365/year on average.
Other factors increasing pay
The list of skills essential for an Android app developer includes proficiency in Java, knowledge of Android SDK and Android Studio, as well as an understanding of XML and Material Design.
Skills required for higher pay
According to PayScale, the skills that are likely to increase pay are the knowledge of C++ and/or C#.
Useful additional skills
Even though the following skills are not crucial for Android developers, the candidates usually stand out if their CV includes:
- High attention to detail
- Analytical skills
- UX and UI
- Wireframing/Prototyping tools
- Problem-solving skills
iOS developer vs Android developer salary
Which platform requires higher compensation, then? It might be difficult to say since the salaries vary. For example:
- As reported by PayScale, the average iOS developer salary is $91,749, as opposed to $90,306 for Android developers,
- Indeed.com, however, reports that an iOS developer earn $115,846 on average, whereas Android developers make $118,389 per year,
- According to ZipRecruiter, the annual pay for iOS developers is $114,614 – contrary to the pay for Android developers, which amounts to $112,647,
- And, the difference between iOS developer vs Android developer salary is very similar on Glassdoor – $97,236 and $97,597, respectively.
When comparing average iOS developer vs Android developer salaries, it’s also worth taking into account that there are thousands of companies that make devices for Android – and many of them offer much lower prices than Apple does. This is one of the main reasons why Android apps are more popular, and why they are being developed more frequently.
At the same time, iOS users spent twice as much as Android users on apps, overall. This ensures that there is a healthy market for iOS developers.
In most cases, when creating a mobile app, the first decision to make is which platform you’ll release it on:- Android, iOS, or another operating system. You already know what the average Android developer salary is in the US – how about checking other resources dedicated to software developer salaries?
Before you go
We also have other great resources devoted to a software developer salary, such as: